Friday, January 15, 2010

But For The Tact of Kris!

Jesse Cabanacan

The latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey conducted during the last week of December 2009 still shows Sen. Noynoy Aquino leading while Sen. Manny Villar, gaining some ground, remains at a not-too-distant second. Aquino was chosen by 44 percent of the respondents, Villar jumped from 27 percent to 33 percent while former President Estrada is still a distant third at 15 percent.

Two candidates who by all accounts with respect to experience, integrity and capability should be elected the next president, namely, former defense secretary Gilbert Teodoro and Sen. Richard Gordon, are at the negligible numbers of 5 percent and 0.5 percent, respectively.

That is the funny part, actually, because as in every Philippine presidential election of late the joke is on us.

So let’s have enough of the funny stuff and focus more on the serious side of things. Allow me, therefore, to dissect the national political landscape the better to reveal the gross anatomy of the 2010 presidential elections.

I have always believed, along with millions of others, that Noynoy Aquino was catapulted to his candidacy because of Tita Cory and/or her death. Likewise, I also believe that if and when he wins and becomes the next President of the Philippines it will be because of his parents’ legacy. (Forgive me if I sound like Dick Gordon or C-5 at taga Manny Villar.)

My wife endlessly teases me of following showbiz news religiously. Well, guilty as charged! Unbeknownst to her, however, is the reason I do. While it appears my interest is in showbiz events and happenings, the real focus is politics. You see, it’s a little known secret in the Philippines that showbiz has a strong influence on politics. Trust me, showbiz events will determine who the next President will be.

As Noynoy is likely to win because of Tita Cory, he will lose the race because of Kris. All in the family, isn’t it? I’ve been sure about this since the day Noynoy declared he would run for President but kept it to myself fearing no one would believe. I would have kept my peace until the latest showbiz cum political development came upon us courtesy of the man of a few words, Mr. James Yap. He, who is much better known as the husband of Kris Aquino and who happens to be a basketball star as well.

Apparently, Kris showed up at the gate of the house of a female fan of her husband in swanky Valle Verde and confronted fan and fan’s mother about female fan incessantly calling Kris’ husband. Kris denies making a scene or throwing invectives at fan and mother.

The fan’s family has opted to remain silent over the incident. Of course, Kris will not be Kris if she does not relate her own version. This, according to Kris, as reported today (January 15, 2009) in the Manila dailies:

“In my 25 years of being in the public eye, nobody can ever say that it is in my nature na magmura or gumawa ng iskandalo. I didn’t shout or create a commotion.”

(Note to self: About a decade ago when Kris bared soul and all, including “tulo,” to Karina Sanchez and the rest of the Filipino people about her relationship then with Joey Marquez, true, she was just in tears but wasn’t shouting. And her revelation on national TV of a sexually transmitted disease I suppose did not ignite a national commotion over someone’s leaky faucet. Nothing scandalous about the whole thing.)

She goes on. “Mrs. Austria (mother of female fan of James) graciously came to their gate and we had a peaceful conversation.” She said she was “very polite” when she expressed her “discomfort about (female fan’s) actuations” towards her husband.

(Question to self: Have you seen Kris on TV talk condescendingly to people she absolutely has no reason to be mad at?)

“Mrs. Austria said it was all just a misunderstanding. I told her, ‘I’m sorry to be disturbing you, but I just had to come here. It makes me uncomfortable that your daughter is calling my husband,’” Kris Aquino said.

(Note to self: Refer to “Question to self” above.)

“At this time, (female fan) came out. She said James called her up to tell her that I’m on my way, and to just say sorry to me. She said, ‘I don’t know why I should. I’ve done nothing wrong.’”

(Note to self: If someone, whom you know is calling your spouse for romantic reasons, tells you something like this, remember to be as polite and peaceful as Kris when you confront that person.)

Aquino added: “I told her, ‘As a wife I’m telling you that it’s wrong. Why do you have to cry to my husband about your boyfriend leaving you when the guy is not even a friend of James’?’ I said to the mom, ‘Thank you. I hope your daughter would stop calling James,’ and then I left.”

(Note to self: Of course the written word is bereft of any discernible emotional content. So one can only assume that had one witnessed this particular incident, the softest tone of voice and utter politeness in its delivery would have been observed.)

“I told James that when we were still having problems, I didn’t cry about my problems to another guy, more so to a married guy. I said I would talk with her kasi hindi maganda ang ginagawa. Maybe she thought I only exist on TV,” says Kris.

(Note to Kris: Talk to James instead. Note to James: Ignore her calls.)

Kris says that, like her, any wife would do anything to salvage her marriage. “With my experience while I was still pregnant with Baby James (her second son, with Yap), mas gugustuhin ko nang malaman ang totoo for myself. I don’t want to be the last to know.”

(Note to Kris: You go girl! But don’t go ghetto like Elin Woods who smashed Tiger’s face and SUV with a golf club. Anyway, unlike Tiger’s professional implement, the basketball is less effective in inflecting harm to pretty face and causing damage to property.)

So what’s the political topography at this point?

Well, Kris is quite offended that this incident is being used to attack her brother politically, something that is really a “domestic issue that does not even involve him directly.”

See now what I mean about showbiz and politics being intrinsically linked?

Meanwhile, an uncle of female fan refused to comment on the incident when asked, except to say: “I now know who I will not vote for.” Well, that’s only one vote. Except that his name is Gabby Lopez, though not the same Gabby Lopez who is Chairman and CEO of Kris Aquino’s home channel ABS-CBN. But Gabby Lopez anyway, who could hold sway over the votes of millions of Kapamilya. Didn’t I say all in the family?

(Sad note to self: Kris said she will no longer comment on the issue based on the advice of her sisters and brother, Noynoy. If things would have been totally up to Kris, things would continue to be interesting. But don’t hold your breath as yet. If Kris will be Kris, comment she will further.)

Most people don’t realize how certain little incidents that on the surface appear unrelated to a tangential outcome, like this “confrontation at the gate”, have dominant roles in the concealed drama of much bigger things, in this particular case, the next President of the Republic of the Philippines.

If you don’t agree, I’ll let you in on a little secret that I’ve held for a couple of decades. You’d be surprised to find out what really triggered EDSA I. It’s not what you think it is. I’ll give you a few hints: Binondo Central Bank, Fabian Ver, Roberto Ongpin and Edna Camcam.

But that is for another time and space.

No comments:

Post a Comment